“Over the past few weeks, there have been repeated calls to “take gaming back” from the “white knights”, the SJWs, the liberal “crusaders”. But calling for better gender representation in games and game development isn’t about taking anything away. As an artform, as an industry, as a sport and as countless other things, gaming is growing at the speed of light. Yes, the traditional, “triple-A” boxed game business appears to be in decline, but that’s a poor yardstick for a medium that now encompasses hundreds, thousands of different devices, access points, genres and tastes. Such growth invites, demands and can only benefit from a more diverse and inclusive spread of creators and concepts. This is a question of evolution. It’s about taking what we have into tomorrow. Nobody needs to be excluded. And there is no need to panic.”—
I wonder if the decline of AAA titles has something to do with the vast majority of them being derivative of each other, and gamers are getting tired of the same old thing with marginally different graphics? I wonder if people are growing up and getting tired of dealing with assholes when they try to play these AAA titles online?
Women playing games isn’t the problem. The way some men treat women who play games is.
doing so by throwing skinny girls under the bus, calling thinner girls “fake”, or insisting that being bigger is “what men really want” (implying that any female body type is only good if it has male approval):
Thank you for following me. Thank you for reblogging from me. Thank you for liking my posts. Thank you for sending me nice messages. Thank you for staying followed to me. Thank you for making my Tumblr experience amazing. Thank you.
friendly reminder that if i have ever befriended you and have not spoken to you in a while it’s nothing you’ve done wrong it’s just because i’m a piece of shit at keeping in contact with people and i still love you okay good
there’s a comic book store in my town that gives ladies a 10% discount and the people who work there are really friendly so lots of ladies show up to hang out and buy comics and one time i was looking through some new releases and this guy walked in, saw all the ladies, did a double take, and said really loudly and condescendingly, ‘there sure are a lot of girls in here for a comic store!’ and laughed but no one else laughed with him and it was glorious
“1) If you critiqued the sexist content in a game many will try to persuade you that this means that the rest of your critique is meaningless and they will try to persuade you to kill yourself.
2) If you critiqued a fan favourite and did not enjoy the game, commenters will try to persuade you to kill yourself.
3) If you critiqued a game and you previously critiqued a fan favourite unfavourably the fans of the previous game will appear to tell you your critique is meaningless and will try to persuade you to kill yourself.
4) If you critiqued something that is not a fan favourite and really enjoyed the game, commenters will accuse you of being paid off for your opinion and will try to persuade you to kill yourself.
5) If you are a woman and you have written about topics in the game pertaining particularly to matters concerning your gender’s outlook or socialisation commenters will try to persuade you to kill yourself.
6) If you wrote a piece of New Games Journalism, describing your playthrough as more of a travelogue or personal journey as analysis of the game, commenters will type ‘BUT IS IT ANY GOOD THOUGH’ or ‘BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ACTUAL GAME’ and then try to persuade you to kill yourself.
Happily, commenters are usually not very good writers, and so largely are very unpersuasive in getting you to kill yourself.”—Cara writing about games journalism and freelance life is smart and wise in many ways, but i’m totally linking to the listicle bit of it. Read the rest here. (via kittensandkrakens)
In america, these things are …. a thing? like you have a place where kids go to see this???? giant robots that look like satan pissed them out??? and you eat there and kids play around these things???? and its a thing an actual thing it happens its normal….